ANKHAMUN AND UTOPIA SPHYNX

 

 

 

The Big Question, What about allergies?

The major misconception about the Sphynx is that because they have no hair they are “hypoallergenic”.  In my opinion, nothing could be further from the truth!  In fact, in many cases I believe that the Sphynx is HYPER-allergenic.  Dr. David Rosenstreich, MD is the director of the Division of Allergy and Immunology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, NY.  To quote Dr. Rosenstreich, “The thing that is allergenic in cats is a protein or a substance that comes from their sebaceous and anal glands.  When they lick themselves, they coat their body with this material which then dries up and comes off them in  cloud of small particles.”  Combine that with the fact that the skin oils come directly into contact with whomever is petting the cat.  Some people will react right away, others have a delayed reaction a day after having come into contact with a Sphynx.  Yes, there are some allergic people that can tolerate a Sphynx, but my feeling is that they are fewer than more.  I’m reminded of the Maine Coon breeder who held a sweaty Sphynx in a hot show hall, wiped her face afterwards, and blew up like a balloon.  I have seen other people have similar violent allergic reactions to a Sphynx.   As far back as 1969 articles about the Sphynx have addressed the allergy issue, all of them stating that while it could be felt that a hairless cat would be suitable for people with allergies that was not necessarily the case. I feel that to advertise Sphynx as “hypoallergenic” is unethical and misleading to the public.

 

Back